Scope and Purpose of Role:
In this job, the candidate will play an active daily role in cutting code, but will also be responsible for helping plan the tasks which member of the team will execute, and the order in which they execute the tasks.
The key requirement is for somebody who has good knowledge of the language and associated APIs, and who has real-world experience of applying the knowledge to an exceptionally complex and fast-moving development environment.
The role is to work as part of a team of developers producing code and supporting materials which is both functional and operable. This will involve:
- Be involved in architecting solutions from high level business requirements.
- Active development to fit the requirements of the business
- Provide estimation of development tasks as defined in the Agile process
- Provide support to live applications
Main Responsibilities and Experience
- Take part in discussions on component design.
- Development of component code
- Communicate progress to team lead / project management
- Help deliver operable projects to operations for test and deployment
- Follow the strategy and best practices of the group
- Participate in developing and refining said strategy and best practices
- Pair with other developers as and when required
Required Skills and Experience
- Between 1 and 3 years Java development
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Familiarity with software development best practices: Design Patterns, eXtreme Programming, continuous integration, source code management tools
- Contributing in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code
- Support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review
- Java 7 and 8
- Spring (IoC, Integration)
- Multi-Threading (including the java.util.concurrent package)
- Test and Behaviour Driven Development (Junit, Mockito, FitNesse)
- Java Script, JQuery
- Database (Oracle and SQL Server)