Great games are the bedrock of Inspired and our development leaders are expected to be highly motivated, highly skilled and passionate about improving the skills, motivation and drive of those around them, as well as the technology and processes we employ.
Focusing not just on technical progress but the development of self-organised teams and individuals, you will be responsible for improving the game technology framework and development processes, and for overseeing the technical delivery of the games roadmap in Retail and Online, working with the Team Leads within these areas to identify issues and provide appropriate solutions as they occur.
The Game Technology Director will work closely with the Production function, responsible for on-time and quality delivery, and the Design function; translating requirements from concept to reality.
• To own our Retail and Online game framework architectures, and adopt a continuous improvement approach to the technology and development processes which lead to more cost-effective and higher quality game production
• To manage the continued feature development, performance, and scalability parameters of both Retail and Online games delivery platforms
• To troubleshoot platform and technology issues with the relevant teams to determine effective and suitable solutions
• To work with our QA Architect to introduce automated test to our development process.
• To take responsibility for our content QA process, implementing appropriate processes and metrics to ensure increasing quality in our final product.
• To plan, introduce and oversee a structured training process for new members of the development team.
• To oversee recruitment into the Development and QA teams, ensuring that they maintain strength of numbers and skills base.
• To have overall leadership responsibility for the development function, encouraging a positive and ‘can do’ culture across the function, playing an active part in recruitment, training and performance management
• To have line management responsibility for Team Leads and the QA Architect, building and maintaining strong relationships through regular one-to-ones, mentoring, and a focus on personal growth and development
• To identify the need for, put in place and manage outsource partners where required
• To play an active part in the senior management team, obtaining buy-in for all key deliverables, commitments and changes
• To keep up to date with industry and technological trends in order to build a medium-long term technology strategy, and communicating opportunities, weaknesses and threats to the Chief Product Officer
• To represent the content development team as required on multi-disciplinary projects which may involve representatives of other parts of the business.
Required Skills and Experience
• Extensive experience within Software Development and 5+ years of leadership experience
• Clear examples of identifying opportunities for development process / technology improvements within a and driving them through to implementation
• Expert knowledge of C++, rendering technologies and interactive entertainment development
• Knowledge of the use, management and best practices of source code management and code review tools within a peer review focused environment
• Fluent English with exceptional written and numerical skills with excellent attention to detail
• Incredibly self-motivated with a hands-on approach to development and management
• Recent history within the gambling industry
• Gaming industry experience
• Experience and knowledge of server/client architecture
• Knowledge of automated test practices within a development environment
• Recognised Product Owner or Scrum Master qualification